OVSDB: Release Review
OVSDB Major Features Include
- Implements [RFC 7047] Open vSwitch (OVS) Database Protocol (OVSDB)
- Allows for the configuration of any Open vSwitch software schema implementation.
- OVSDB uses JSON RFC4627 for the schema and wire protocol presentation.
- Supports up to the latest experimental OVS version 2.0.9 and is fullly backwards compatable with all older version including schema support.
- The OVSDB configuration manager residing in OpenDaylight can be used as a listener that waits for an OVS element to attach to it and then be configured once the JSON/RPC channel is negotiated.
- The OVSDB configuration manager can also be configured as an initiator to attach to OVS elements and remotely configure them in that direction.
- Create, modify, delete ports and all the various attributes of a port.
- Create, modify, delete encapsulated tunnels supporting CAPWAP, GRE and VXLAN framing.
- OVSDB can remotely setup the OpenFlow controller target and any details in handle the management plane functions supporting the control and data planes.
- OVSDB Library using Bidirectional JSON-RPC implementation
- OVSDB OpenVswitch plugin to support OpenVSwitch OVSDB Schema
- REST APIs for OVSDB Server Table Management (CRUD)
- Support for OpenStack Neutron ML2 Plugin using the OpenDaylight Mechanism Driver
- Integration with Openflow1.0 and Openflow1.3 plugins.
- Both per flow and per bridge tunnel keying
- API Support for all combinations of OVSDB transactions.
- Full support for the AD-SAL
Non-Code Aspects (user docs, examples, tutorials, articles)
- OVSDB Installation Guide
- OVSDB User Guide
- OVSDB Developer Guide
- OpenDaylight-OVSDB Youtube Channel
- Postman scripts
- DevStack local.conf files
- Tutorial: OVSDB OpenFlow v1.3 Neutron ML2 Integration
- Due to the NODE-TYPE issues between MD-SAL & AD-SAL, OVSDB Neutron cannot use MD-SAL for Openflow1.0 (even with AD-SAL Adapters).
- Clustering service not available when using MD-SAL based NSF bundles like Forwarding Rules Manager.
Quality Assurance (test coverage, etc)
- Functional test support for bridge, port, and tunnel creation
End-of-life (API/Features EOLed in Release)
Bugzilla (summary of bug situation)
Standards (summary of standard compliance)
Schedule (initial schedule and changes over the release cycle)
The project roughly followed its release plan but failed on the code-freeze deadline due to the OpenFlow1.3 integration issues. But finally delivered on all of the set goals & features.