Project Creation Date: Nov 1st, 2019
IRC: freenode.net #opendaylight-plastic
Welcome the Plastic Project!
The Project Proposal is a great place to get the five minute read of what Plastic is and why you might want to consider using it. A portion of that content is repeated below.
What is a mapping problem?
- Occurs in internals of a system behind endpoints
- ODL context – moving from northbound to southbound representations
- Sometimes need to trivially convert data representation
- JSON, XML, YML, other parse-able formats
- Sometimes need to change abstractions (1:1, N:1, N:N)
- Morph one model into completely different model
- Morph N models into one model
- Pay-as-you-go for complexity (field deployable changes)
- Declarative representations are emphasized (clear schemas)
- Translation-by-intent (say what you want, not how to do it)
- Deeper levels of abstraction to help keep custom logic schema-independence
- Can specify arbitrary morphing via plug-ins in JVM language
- Understands breaking large mapping problems up (both time and space) into small chunks
Solves problems like…
- Schema changes for device configurations across releases
- No more hard-wired dependency on vendor libraries
- In-the-field updating to support multiple versions of devices
- Light weight specifications avoid religiosity around “DRY"
Documentation, Tutorials & Examples
- An Introduction (that is too detailed and needs rewriting)
- A Best Practices document
- A document on running the stand-alone command line version of Plastic called Plastic Runner
- An Authoring document aimed at advanced coding usages (this should evolve into a reference over time)
Both parts of the tutorial below include examples ready to run via Plastic Runner
- A No Coding Tutorial on how to configure translations without using any coding (for the translation itself)
- A Coding Tutorial that shows how to create simple plugins that are automatically picked up during the translation process
- Lumina Networks, Inc, for allowing this code to be open-sourced
- Balaji Varadaraju, for discussing ideas and requirements wrangling
- Mike Arsenault, for discussing ideas and contributing
- Shaleen Saxeena, for pushing the boundaries around requirements
Please contact hosts in case of any issues.
- Topic: ODL - Weekly Plastic Project meeting
- Time: TBA